Google Classroom - User guide for Pupils (and parents!)
We are beginning to use Google Classroom for home-schooling during the Lockdown period.
It is new to most of us so below is a guide for pupils to use. (A PDF version is below if you wish to print it)
If you have any problems please contact Mr Fisher at school, via Class Dojo or email him at email@example.com
(Google Classroom can be accessed through this link: https://classroom.google.com/
- Type ‘Google Classroom’ into Google and choose the first link that appears (or click the link above)
- You should be asked to sign in – please use the username and password sent to you in a text message from the school.
(If you use Google for other things and currently have a google username, you will need to sign out of this first, before logging in).
- On the left-hand side you should see your class teacher’s name (on the blue background) – click on their name.
- Your teacher’s name (and blue background) now appears across the screen. This is the Task Page.
- Underneath the box will be the tasks set by your teacher.
- Click on the task to open it.
- Any instructions should be on the screen.
- On the right-hand side of the screen is the Your Work box – the next bit is the important bit!
- Click on the document in the Your Work box – it should open on your screen.
- At the top of the screen is a small blue box with white lines with the words, ‘Open with Google Docs’ – click on this. It should open in a new window.
- The Google Docs document should allow you to type directly onto it. (Any documents which were PDF can sometimes lose their shape a little, but the original should still be open in a tab at the top of the screen)
- Complete the work in Google Docs – it automatically saves as you go along.
- When you have finished your work close the tab (This can feel a bit unnerving as there isn’t a save button – however, at the top of the screen there should be an underlined sentence which says, ‘Last edit was seconds ago’ This tells you that your work is saved.
Submitting your work to the teacher
- Once Google Docs is closed you should have returned to the original document (in point 7 above)
- In the top-left corner of the screen to the left of your name and the task is an arrow pointing left. Click on the arrow to close the task.
- You should now see the original screen (in point 5 above)
- You have completed your work BUT your teacher can’t see it yet, so the next bit is very important!
- In the ‘Your work’ box on the right, under the work, is a bar which says, ‘+ Add or create’ Click on it and then select ‘Google Drive’ from the list.
- A box opens on the screen. There are 4 tabs in the box, ‘RECENT’ ‘UPLOAD’ ‘MY DRIVE’ ‘STARRED’ Make sure ‘RECENT’ is selected (It should be written in blue)
- The first document in this section should be the one you have just completed, so click on it and a blue bar appears underneath.
- On the blue bar, click on the word, ‘INSERT’
- You should return to the page with the ‘Your Work’ box on it. After a few seconds, your work should appear under the original document in the ‘Your Work’ box.
- When it appears, click on the words, ‘Turn In’ (in the blue bar) underneath your work.
- A new window may appear asking you to check that you’re submitting two documents – the original and your work – click on the blue words, ‘Turn In’
- After a few seconds you should return to the main screen and now in the ‘Your Work’ box the blue bar has gone and should be replaced with the word ‘Unsubmit’ This means you have sent your work to your teacher!
What to do next
- To return to the task page to see if you have any more work to complete, look in the top left-hand corner and you should see your teacher’s name with 3 horizontal lines next to it. Click on their name to go back to the task page.
- Alternatively, if you’ve finished you can sign out by clicking on the green circle in the top right-hand corner – it should have the first letter of your name in it. When you click on it, scroll down and click on the word, ‘Sign Out’